Saturday, September 11, 2010

We Strike For Shore in Our Small Boats, Though We Won't Make It.



*


Last night I dreamed I was back in the Coast Guard.


I saw my old captain, Ltjg. Alexander.

I saw Nob, the old cook.

The sea was dark and heaving beneath our gleaming white cutter.


I was happy as a pig in shit.





*



Something in me does love the harsh sea.



Though I know her, and should fear her better.


*



Today I am making Pho. I have made a stock with chicken stock and garlic and flame-charred ginger and sweet onions and star anise and cinnamon and fish sauce and lime juice and soy sauce and brown sugar and serrano chiles.

I will yet add mint and basil and cilantro and red onion and green onion and caramelized pork chops and whatever the hell else I can find to throw in there.


*


Here it is:




*



I have cleaned the house until it gleams and ditto for the dog.




*




We are all for the boneyard.


Let's eat good in the meantime, shall we?


*

Namaste.


Bullet and Buddha, Casa De Lavaplatos Lacrimos Y La Mujer En El Borde      



****

10 Comments:

Blogger Maggie May said...

i think i found you because Robert Parker died and i couldn't have Spenser anymore.

you are like literary nourishment for me, but you are a real person. a real person who makes food like that.

maybe you ARE Spenser. he talked about food as much as he talked about sex and bad guys.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth said...

That food sets my stomach rumbling, roiling more so than were I in a boat on a rolling sea.

Such exquisite images, Tearful, the sea, the dream the pho and Buddha.

12:08 AM  
Blogger susan t. landry said...

the pho looks phabulous (sorry); and the talk of the Coast Guard makes me promise myself yet again that i must, must dig out my father's letters home and snapshots from the war; he was in the CG, stationed off Greenland. and therein lie stories.
thx.
--susan

7:12 AM  
Blogger deirdre said...

I'm coming to your house for dinner, that does it. And the sea stories while we eat.
I'll bring a willow grouse to add to the mix.

xodd

wv cometnan

comet man.

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful, beautiful pictures.

and that food sounds sooo good!

4:33 PM  
Blogger St. deVille said...

dog penis and spearhead.

5:04 PM  
Blogger Mim said...

That food shines out . . .

5:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The house of the dishwasher and the woman on the verge....?"
Maggie May said it best..."you are literary nourishment for me"!

Gracias!

Allene

12:33 PM  
Blogger melissashook said...

I would like to meet Nob, the cook...
thank you...

3:38 PM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

What good friends I have here!!!!


You are all invited for dinner.


Even you, April. Dog penis and spearhead? Wha?


Thank you all for coming by. I really treasure your words and thoughts and you make this place rich beyond anything I've known.

So thank you.

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home