Monday, September 06, 2010

Eats

Bun Nem Nuong- The traveler's lunchbox





*

Last night we made Bun Nem Nuong from a recipe at The Traveler's Lunchbox.

And it kicked ass!


The only difference was I made the pork into little oblong patties that I grilled in a cast iron grill pan so it got nice sear marks on it and didn't look as much like, well, what it looked like in the photo.


My wife has turned me from a peanut butter and jelly, hamburger and pizza, chicken nuggets and beer guy into some other kind of creature. If you'd told me when I was five that I would eat something made with fermented dead-fish tea and garlic and ginger and hot peppers I would have killed myself before I turned six.

Luckily, I had no idea.


It all just snuck up on me.



*


Now I will eat anyfuckingthing.


If it's good. 




*




Today I tried to replicate these daikon kimchi pickles that the woman used to eat all the time in Korea. I used David Chang's recipe as a jumping off place. We'll see in a couple of weeks how they turned out.


I'm learning how to use my knife, too, which is pretty fucking cool.


I mean, you gotta get your killin' on, even if you're in the kitchen, right?



*


Next up?


Pho.


Pho-sho.


*


Namaste, and pass the rice wine vinegar and some of those fried crickets over here!



***

9 Comments:

Anonymous nursemyra said...

I love pho - especially when eaten in Saigon

1:46 PM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

Nursemyra-


I'll bet it's even better then. Closest I've come is eating it in Little Saigon in LA.


Still pretty good, though.


Thanks for stopping in!

5:09 PM  
Blogger T. said...

Ah, pho. Nothing better when it's done right. Looking forward to reading about your success with it!

My favorite place to have pho is in Seattle at Uwajimaya -- an expansive Asian grocery with a "food court". There's a vendor that has a little alley-of-a-spot, with four or five stools nestled in at a counter. A cold day with wind and rain, tucked in and hunched over a steaming bowl of pho: heaven.

(Haha! wv: biliss!)

3:45 AM  
Blogger St. deVille said...

5th street pho in san francisco is my favorite place, although i did make pho a few weeks ago and the anise pods are still stinking up (in a wonderful way) my cupboard...

8:35 AM  
Blogger deirdre said...

Never heard of it! but loving this post, haha, makes me happy, especially as I live with a venison burger guy myself.

You're awesome.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Marylinn Kelly said...

Tackling exotic (for Kraft Dinner types, esp. me, of a certain age) eating, let along learning to cook it, bold. Very. And thank you for rec. THE MOTHER which we saw Sat. night...still with me. We'd seen THE HOST a while back and my son says, "Two for two."

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have never said this out loud to anyone, but i have a dead serious crush on david chang.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Mim said...

Had super pho in Pittsburgh. Please post about yours.

Always
Mim

5:59 AM  
Blogger melissashook said...

oh, glad you didn't know at six what you'd later taste... you weren't even eating ants at that point..thanks

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home