Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Fighting Fighting





*



"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you."

The Stranger
The Big Lebowski


*


I admit to a certain kind of depressive, anxious, moody outlook on the world. But that's not all that's going on, not by a long shot. I got a deep and abiding love for being alive, especially right now, on this planet, in this body, under this big blue sky and in the midst of all of this reckless beauty and mindblowing abundance.


I got it better than about 99 percent of the humans that are alive right now, or ever were.



I got a smartphone, for gosh sakes.



*



I think about what it was like to live a long time ago. Not a hundred years ago. Not five hundred. More like five hundred thousand.


Spears and snares and gathering berries and telling stories by the fire of an evening  and dying young of a broken femur or a tooth infection or a saber-tooth tiger mauling or falling out of a tree or drowning or just starvation. Or getting hit in the head with a big rock.


I would have done okay back then, I bet.


*


Except I am a slut and a lazy s.o.b. and would probably starve.


*




And there wasn't no Coen brothers back then, so.....



*




Namaste, my friends.




***

6 Comments:

Blogger Lydia said...

Visiting because it's been awhile.
I read your profile for the first time and noted that you are the only person I've run into who lists Days of Heaven as a favorite. Mine too. Have the VHS, for gods sake. Loved that film.

1:35 AM  
Blogger ButtonHole said...

Nah, you've cooked up something fabulous, Bear Florentine or Boar Veronique. Paired with some nice greens and mead or suchlike.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Melissa Green said...

How could you have lived without the Coen Brothers or Days of Heaven (me too, Lydia). You would have invented something marvelous--a band of your own playing mastodon toe bones on the stretched skin of a saber-tooth tiger, the tusks and teeth strung over the stage, and man, you would have been one powerful and respected CAT! Love your site, love getting to know a little more of you.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

I think I would have done better then. Fewer meetings. Less hair combing. Sometimes I want to hit myself in the head with a rock. I'm pretty ok with that.
Reb in Shitsville

11:38 AM  
Blogger Marylinn Kelly said...

Do you think we are so different? A survivor now would have been one then...surely we have some slutty, lazy predecessors...how else did it get into the DNA and become such an appealing choice? The Dude abides.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Mim said...

When J. and I were in the deep woods in Maine, we ran into an old timer. "If you see a bear, just wing him," he said.

Luckily we never had to use the gun. Wing a bear, come on!

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home