Friday, September 17, 2010

Our House, In The Middle of Our Street



*

This is our living room. It includes a dead cow, skinned and laid out; a Kwan Yin head, an English Bulldog, a copper engraving, a Canal St. subway sign copied from the Woody Allen movie "Husbands & Wives", a model of a human skull, two needle points, a monkey or two, lots of books, and hardwood floors.


And some blue-ray DVD loading on the television screen.


*

This is the home in which I live.


This is my little refuge.


It is the inside of my heart.


*



You should come over some time.  We'd love to have you.



We hate everyone else, but we'd make an exception for you.


I can almost guarantee it.


*



Today I sat in a three hour meeting trying to convince my boss we had enough to go on this guy who killed his ex-girlfriend and her new boyfriend several years ago.


My entreaties fell upon deaf ears.


*


I will yet sway him.


*


I don't give a shit about most things. But if you murdered someone in my goddamn town, and I know it?





Well, you are going down.



*



In other news, I don't know.


Maybe you can tell me.


*


Namaste.



Except for you, you know who you are.



****

8 Comments:

Blogger Maggie May said...

i love your living room. wow. you or your wife or both have gorgeous taste.
the Woody Allen plaque is awesome.

the families of murder victims in your town are damn lucky to have you in their corner.

11:26 AM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

Maggie-

Thanks, I'm glad you find it as beautiful as we do. It's taken years and years to get to this point, but we love it.

And thanks for the vote of confidence. I don't always get my man, but I never forget the victims. I carry them.

And there are lots like me. The world is full of them.


I admire you a great deal, Maggie. You are living it full-bore, and your honesty and love are going to steer you and your family through the shoals.

Bless you.


yrs-


tearful

12:22 PM  
Anonymous nursemyra said...

Love the sign. I was standing on the corner of Greene and Canal Streets on the morning of 9/11. My first day in NYC and I saw everything.....

3:50 PM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

Shitfuck.

Welcome to New York, huh?



I was in California, but the wife and I had lived in the city and had family there, and, well.

I'm glad you made it out okay.


We watched that Oliver Stone movie about the twin towers just last night. I cried, even though the movie were shit.

I'm a big baby, I guess. And a sucker for those guys, all those guys, who said 'fuck it' and went in.

It is sad and terrible, but I love each one of them for it, and it is the best way to die, I think, in a giant shitstorm, trying to save just one human being more.


Ah, well. The whole topic makes me feel like I am trespassing.


yrs-

tearful

4:33 PM  
Blogger Maggie May said...

Thank you TD. Thank you.

7:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i knew one of those guys. the ones who said fuck it and went in.


i like your living room. mine is that same color and has a wooden floor and lots of sun. i told your wife not long ago how much i thought your home and garden looked like a magical place. they really do. safe and warm.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

My friend Lon says, "I like people. MY people."
Yeah.
I like your living room. It is not unlike rooms in my house which also contain dead animals of one sort or another, dogs and their beds, hardwood floors, monkeys and books. Instead of Kwan Yin, though, I have Virgins of Guadalupe and Frida Kahlo.
Same-same.
Maybe.
P.S. You do not have to answer all of these comments of mine. I am just leaving little post-its, as it were, on the furniture around here. They are meant to be easily ripped away and tossed after you read them.

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Shanon said...

I like your living room a lot, so I ask this question with no malice whatsoever. Are you sure you are not confusing the Woody Allen movies Husbands and Wives with Manhattan Murder Mystery? That Canal St sign hung over the bed in Woody and Diane's (Keaton) characters' bedroom in MMM (1993)--great movie. I am a huge fan of Woody Allen and have seen all his movies more times than I can count. I don't recall seeing the Canal St sign in any other movie, but would love to stand corrected. Again, not my intention to offend. I think your place is pretty.

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home