Sunday, January 24, 2010

Burchell's Zebra



*

The last Burchell's Zebra died in the London Zoo in 1910.


*

This piece is my first experiment with trying to recreate the dioramas I remember from the Museum of Natural History. What they felt like to look at. What it made me feel inside to look at them. Thrilling and infinitely sad, they filled me with longing and wonder and despair.


*

The woman on the verge is out shooting with our new camera.



She will bring home wonders.



*


Last night I made a risotto with garlicky shrimp and bacon topped with sliced green onions, a riff on David Chang's shrimp and grits.


It were good.


*

We watched "The Shooting" on our Netflix on demand. A 1966 Western starring Warren Oates, a young Jack Nicholson, and Millie Perkins. It was just about the best damn thing I ever saw and odd as a two-headed duck.

I don't know what all to think about it.

*

We watch movies like a couple of crack addicts. The odder the better. It's like a damn art house cinema around here. French, Italian, Hungarian, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, old, older, new, whatever. Noir. Experimental. Indie.

It's a hell of a thing.




*

I took the dog for a walk and it depressed me. Can you believe that? Now I'm all fucked up. Not that I wasn't before. The world just seems ugly right now.



Not seems.

*



But I like those Zebras all right.



***

Namaste.

*

9 Comments:

Blogger Maggie May said...

i LOVE THESE zEBRAS. i really, really do.

1:56 PM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

Yay!


Me too. I can't help it.

2:02 PM  
Anonymous nursemyra said...

The zebras are cool. I wonder if you and I watch the same films.....

4:04 PM  
Blogger angela simione said...

i've been thinking about dioramas too lately... stilled life.

those zebras are gorgeous.

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://frenchyspectoralis.blogspot.com/


stop by
and say Hi big guy.





code word:
andis

11:51 PM  
Blogger melissashook said...

what's the matter with that dog? too slow? I can't believe you'd come back blue after going out with that fabulous creature...at least I hope she's appreciate of your choice of films!
thanks...

4:26 AM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

Nurse Myra-

You should give me a list of some of your favorites and we can compare.



Angela-

It is the black and white stripes. Mesmerizing. Like the Amazing Mesmer.

Maybe.


Anyway, your art captivates me utterly. Keep it up.




Anonymous-

The New Zealand Bra fence, huh? Good a place as any to start!

Why do I have a snail on one of my heads?

Who can say?




Melissa-

Lucy does like about one in five of our film choices. Anything with birds or horses is good in her opinion.



All best to you all!



tearful

7:17 AM  
Anonymous nursemyra said...

I've got a page full of them on my sidebar :-)

12:01 AM  
Anonymous Hiro said...

Hello! Just blogspotting. Great blog! I bookmarkd it.

Happy blogging!

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home