Friday, November 26, 2010

Diana Appears to Pericles

Or, How Woman Was the First Hunter and Bagged The Sweetest Fruit



*


It were a good meal and a nice day of it.



I took a chance and got a smoked turkey from Greenburg's in Tyler, Texas, which arrived on time as advertised and was so damn smoked it smelled like our house caught fire and then got rained on and we was standing around in the aftermath of it.


Tasted pretty good, though.


*


We had my mom and step-dad, my dad and step-mom, my mom's parents, and my step-mom's son and his wife and their new baby. A convivial and generally angst-free gathering, very low-key. I enjoyed like hell cooking all day, doing up old-timey collards and roasted sweet potatoes and some cauliflower in a mustard-lemon glaze, stuffing, gravy, rolls, what-not.

My right arm and helpmeet kept it all flowing smooth, appearing magically with just the right word or gaze or bit of food or taking away dishes or washing them.

The dog made herself the center of every conversation and got her ass pet like she likes.



We had the whole crew out by six and the house spanking clean by seven and I was laid out on top of the bedcovers, snoring away by seven fifteen.


*



I thought about all of you, and gave thanks for your friendship and your warmth and generosity to me and to this place. You make this place what it is.



*




Now for three glorious days off in a row with nothing planned and nothing I have to do and bright, sunny, cold fall weather.



*


God-damned-son-of-a-lesbian-bitch I've got it good, don't I?



****


Namaste.



****

9 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Bless you, you tearful dishwasher and cook. Bless your gathering and bless your union and bless your collard greens and bless your sleep.
Hope your dreams were sweetly smoked, not charred.

10:45 AM  
Blogger susan t. landry said...

i have a second thanksgiving dinner tomorrow night; and, now, inspired by your artwork, i'm going out to shoot me some key limes, so i can bring a pie to the gathering!
good to hear your holiday was mellow & delicious, scott.
cheers,
susan

1:54 PM  
Blogger Craig Sorensen said...

Yeah, you've got it good. Sounds like a pretty perfect Thanksgiving. Smoked turkey and all. That weather sounds perfect. Enjoy!

I made my annual Thanksgiving leftover casserole tonight and it got rave reviews from the crew. I'm taking my sweetheart to breakfast tomorrow, then maybe a little shopping.

Enjoy your days off!

4:11 PM  
Blogger 37paddington said...

Happy happy, sounds like it was. I thought of you, too, Dishwasher, with no tears, cooking up a feast. Funny how I was thinking of all my blog friends, wondering how their day was going, hoping they were having good days. This place is real, isn't it?

And the artwork, all lemony and melting oozing punctured surrendering about to give up its sweet to the first hunter. Love it.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Petit fleur said...

sounds like a lovely feast. Glad you enjoyed it.

Have fun being off in the beautiful fall!
peace,
pf

7:46 AM  
Blogger deirdre said...

Wow. That sounds perfect. Like your own one, I love being a sous chef and leaving all the worry to someone adept in charge. What a great gathering.

8:24 AM  
Anonymous nursemyra said...

what a great sounding day

10:52 PM  
Anonymous Saint Paul Window Shutters said...

Hello maate great blog post

3:35 AM  
Anonymous Saint Paul Window Shutters said...

Grreat read

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home