Saturday, October 02, 2010

Sacred Heart of Guy Charles Bailey













*


Guy Bailey was drafted into the US navy in 1943, at the age of 17, and spent the next couple of years operating teletype apparatus, climbing masts to maintain shipboard antennae and, on bad days, hauling huge bags of classified messages to the incinerator, turning them into a slurry of ash and water and dumping the gloopy mix over the side of the boat. By the time he came home from the war, not yet 20, he had become a radioman, first class.

There wasn't much call for radiomen in New Castle, so he worked in construction for a few years before the navy recalled him and sent him off to Korea in 1950, where he would have passed his days doing pretty much what he'd done in world war 2.

Between his wars, he found time to marry a woman called Agnes Lynch, have a son with her and drunkenly crash his car into a parked car on Washington street, which resulted in him posing for this busted-lip mugshot on July 27, 1948, when he was 22.

After the Korean war, New Castle still hadn't come up with a use for Bailey's special radioman skills, so he went back to his construction job, where he worked until he died in 1975, at the age of 49, just two months after the death of his wife.



*


Text lifted from, and image inspired by Small Town Noir.



*




By way of saying we are all holy.




***



Namaste.



****

9 Comments:

Blogger deirdre said...

So often I don't say anything and I know that's random and selfish but there's usually a ring around your fire and sometimes I just peek through the cracks, but here is a little space for me to say hi. I love what you said about melancholy. I love your stove. I love your art and your words.
I hate gushing, so I'll stop.
G'mornin.

luv D

8:41 AM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

D-

Thanks for joining me here, I was getting sorta lonely. A rittle ronery.

I thought my picture of Mr. Bailey might have offended everyone.


Any hoo.


Glad to have you sitting by the fire, as always. And you don't have to say a thing. I know you're here.


yrs-


Scott

10:22 AM  
Blogger deirdre said...

This reminds me of an exhibit in Vancouver right now, that I wish I could see. I'll post a link on my blog.

The most interesting things are often the most controversial I think.

But your work is transcendent and not to worry. I'm not the only one who knows that either.

1:50 PM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

You're right about controversial things often being the most interesting. There's something at work there, as long as it isn't just about tweaking someone's nose and actually comes from the work itself.

Makes you think about your story and your poem about your concern about the controversial aspects of the story, huh?

You got the chops. Don't worry about chasing folks off with unsettling stuff. You don't want cowards.


thank you for your kindness and friendship. It means a lot to me that you find some value in the art I do. Makes me smile.


yrs-


tearful

1:02 PM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

You know, one of the things I do not like about religion is that it wants to tell me who and what are holy.
No, I say. I'll figure that one out for myself.

1:47 PM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

Ms. Moon-


I don't see how you can go wrong. Poking around your blog, I'll wager you've got your holy all figured out.


Sometimes you meet someone, you just take a shine to them right away.


yrs-


tearful

2:04 PM  
Blogger Photocat said...

utterly sad story... don't know why... Radio men should me far more important when they don't do radio stuff and we should recognize them...

2:54 PM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

they are among us.

3:31 PM  
Anonymous My Blog said...

Thoughtful blog you have here

3:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home