Monday, September 07, 2009

Happy Birthday, The Brave One







*

Happy Birthday, Bro.


*

This is my younger brother. It's his birthday tomorrow, so I baked him a cake and put his favorite symbol on it.

It's the helmet of a Spartan, with crossed swords.

It should say "Molon Labe", which means "come and take them." Plutarch's response to the Persian Army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons.

See "Come and get it!" and "Over my dead body."

My brother is among the toughest human beings that I have ever come across.

He makes me feel like a girl.


*

My brother is a former United States Marine, and is currently a Sergeant working patrol and running one of the substations in what passes for the rough part of our county. He has been on SWAT for over ten years, and held every position in it.

He has dedicated his life to the art of combat. He runs the firearms instruction for almost everyone in the county. He developed the academy firearms program and teaches there. He teaches patrol rifle, handgun, defensive tactics, advanced officer safety, building clearing, force-on-force options, baton, arrest and control techniques, etc. He oversees the Field Training program at the department. He trains outside agencies like Parks and Beaches, local police departments, etc.

He is on the fight team at a local mixed martial arts gym and fights in the police olympics and other cop related contests, battle of the badge, etc.

In his spare time, he does triathlons and paddleboards and mountain bikes and goes camping or sailing or whitewater rafting with his sweet family.

*

He is happily married and a wonderful father and a steadfast friend.

He is fearless.

He is incredibly, incredibly strong.

He is the most honest and fairminded and easy-going man I know.



*

No better friend, no worse enemy.


*

I love my brother to the very core of my being. We came up together and to this day we are good friends.


He is my hero.


*

Happy Birthday, Bro.


I love you.



***




7 Comments:

Blogger Radish King said...

Also he's hot.
:)

6:49 PM  
Blogger Mim said...

What a guy! Can he cook?

7:22 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

ps. Off the subject, but your cucumber yogurt feta salad has become my favorite ever summer salad served up with a fresh garden tomato. Heaven.

Thank you.
xo

5:34 PM  
Blogger melissashook said...

what gets me about you two guys is the happy family, good husband part...
unbelievable....
and terrific....
so what kind of family did you and the brother come from? a good father, a good mother, a lot of alcohol? a religion? the country? this is a novel...

9:16 AM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

Melissa-

It gets me too. We come from a normal, fucked up family. Divorce, moving around, love, support, stupidity, the whole enchilada.

But the foundation, throughout it all, was and is love.

In that we were blessed beyond measure.


But don't be fooled. We're both plenty fucked up still.

yrs-

tearful

9:38 PM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

And yr right, Radish,

He's smokin' hot.

9:38 PM  
Blogger T. said...

....and you can bake a damn good-looking cake, to boot!

I'm impressed.

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home