Saturday, April 02, 2011

Paella Redux



*


Last night we had friends over for dinner, a rare event here. We had a hell of a nice time at it, we really did. Both of us usually dread social engagements just a bit more than dental surgery, but last night was a real pleasure.


I tried my hand at paella. Chiringuito seafood paella from a recipe in the LA times. 


All that seafoody goodness: calamari and clams, Argentine red shrimp, thick, flaky cod, a couple of andouille sausages for good measure, and then all cooked up in a big pan with saffron-infused arborio rice. And here was the kicker for me- garlicky allioli to top it off and lend its creamy richness to an already rich meal. Add a mixed green salad of pickled onions, pomegranate seeds, feta cheese, balsalmic vinaigrette. Add crusty seeded baguette. Add Ezra's asparagus (WOOT! Thanks, dude! That stuff rocks.) Add a couple of good bottles of lusty, over-the-top reds. Add good conversation, real conversation, with good friends.

Add watching Lucy jump up on the coffee table and eat the cheese plate.

"Believe what you like. I'm taking the fifth."


*


Bliss.



*


So, the picture at the top is not how it looked last night. The picture at the top is how it looked for brunch this morning.




Fuck me running, it were good.


All that seafood and garlic and the fresh, sharp bite of the pickled onions and cucumbers, the crusty bread, and hot, dark coffee and a whole day of nothing else ahead of us but lounging around watching Netflix and napping out in the studio?














Weekend Plans







*





Well, it just doesn't get any better.




*



Namaste.




***

19 Comments:

Blogger A said...

How delicious this all sounds/looks.
I so enjoy your descriptions of meals--instead of a food critic, an insightful/inciteful appreciator.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

If I put on a bulldog suit could I come over and hang out with Lucy and share the cheese plate?

1:51 PM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

A-

i am an appreciator of food, that is certain.

1:52 PM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

Ms. Moon-


You are always welcome, bulldog suit or no.


yrs-


Scott

1:53 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

No, it doesn't. And I don't even like paella (it's the saffron).

I love your food writing --

2:08 PM  
Blogger deirdre said...

So good. And that picture of the empty plate with clamshell and then Lucy's belly, that really did the trick for me.

4:35 PM  
Blogger 37paddington said...

oh. my. god. you committed art with that plate of food. i am sitting here trying to figure out how to climb inside this light box and join you. and then you went and described it too and it was just so freakin moaning goood.

i find it endearing that you and your love dread social engagements. man, i dread them too. and yet it can be such balm for the soul when i make myself go or make myself do the host thing. what is the dread about, i wonder? i would love to put down that particular foible of mine, but i'm not sure what's at the root of it.

in any case, i am thrilled for you and Yolie for the evening you had. the stars aligned.

and i am so darn happy to be here, you don't even know. i send heartfuls of love.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Petit fleur said...

Dammit! Whenever you even talk about food, my mouth starts watering... Now I gotta see pictures?!!! I can't TAKE IT! I want some that food!

Lucy... she cracks me up.

Sounds like a lovely evening and day after.

Thanks for sharing.
peace,
pf

6:57 PM  
Blogger melissashook said...

no, it doesn't get any better!
thanks..

5:43 AM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

Elizabeth-

I'm sure that paella would be almost as good without the saffron, especially with the garlic allioli, which really adds depth and richness.

I'm glad you enjoy the food posts. I sure enjoy making them.


yrs-


Scott

10:54 AM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

Deirdre-

Yeah, Lucy's belly. You can see alot of that around here.

One of these days maybe we can grub together.

10:56 AM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

Angella-

I think our dread of entertaining others or being entertained is just that we are so damn happy in our small, private lives, in our own little conversations and routine, that we feel profoundly unsettled at the thought of disrupting that in any way.

But you're right, it can be a beautiful disruption, and you have to keep opening up to life, especially when it's a bit uncomfortable. That's how joy and love get in.

I'm glad you're here.

10:59 AM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

PF-

It was lovely. Sorry to torment you with the food. I wish I could throw a spread out for everyone here. That would be a hell of a party.


And Lucy would love it best of all.

11:01 AM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

Melissa-

Good to see you here! And you're welcome.

11:02 AM  
Blogger LKD said...

The clam shell, casting its shadow on the empty plate looks like a moth.

The image conjures that haiku about the moth resting on the bell.

Moth on bell. Clam on plate.

I like. I like.

(I damned love the dog. I damned love her.)

11:46 AM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

Laurel-

leave it to you to find the most beautiful way into that image. stunning and apt.


and of course you love that damn dog. it's her superpower. pretty good, winning over a cat person.


love-

Scott

12:36 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

You make me want to be a better cook. And a bulldog.

8:16 AM  
Blogger LKD said...

Scott, I'm not a cat person.

I love cats. I love my cats.

But I'm a dog person, too.

(Actually, I'm a fool for all animals and have been since I was a kid. I've always felt safer, more trusting, more loved in the presence of animals than in the presence of most human beings.)

My life doesn't currently allow for the boundless, uncontainable joy of a dog right now.

But someday. Someday.

10:28 AM  
Blogger N2 said...

I love paella with aioli and an extra squeeze of lemon. I could taste it again looking at your photo and description here. Yumm!

If you ever get to Madrid, this place had the best paella I tasted during my three years of living there:
L'ALBUFERA
C/ CAPITÁN HAYA, 45, 28020 Madrid, Spain
+34 915 67 51 97

I was just back visiting MAD, but didn't have time to go by there. Drop over a check out the pix I've posted.

Love your photoshop dreams! x0 N2

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home