Monday, February 22, 2010

The Lake Where Things Are Lost



*

Can you name one who is to be spared?


We are all for the bone yard.


*

I feel blessed to be where I am, still drawing breath. I just went and stood on the front porch, in the sunlight and cold air. The sun is going down and it floods across the yard through the arbor, all golden, firing up the tulips and daffodils and the brick path and the green weeds, making no distinction among them, painting them all alike. The dog is asleep in a patch of sunlight, too, soaking up the warmth of it.

I got my small troubles, just like you do. I got my portion of blessings and then some. I work at opening my small and flinty heart. I throw myself at my many failures yet again. I love with abandon and don't begrudge it.

Of late I have been astounded at the physical world and am learning to find in it all of the magic and wildness I once sought in religion or spirituality or god or magic or what have you. I see now that it was my paltry imagination that was to blame, for I could not apprehend the vast wild strangeness of my own visible world. I sought out some other thing, as if this world were drab and lifeless and boring, when there could not exist a thing more strange and wonderful and limitless and mysterious, unknowable.

I will go to my grave without understanding much more than I do right now, but that's okay. I won't stop trying.

I am glad for this life.


I am glad for it all.



*

Namaste.



***

7 Comments:

Blogger melissashook said...

This is very nice (I'm not too articulate, so you have to embroider a bit), the growing appreciation of nature...I'm so closed off from that, not being exactly able to look right outside and find it...but this is inspiring.
Thank you..

5:25 AM  
Blogger melissashook said...

I love the way their hands are touching...

5:27 AM  
Blogger Mim said...

Me too. In the light that floods us all--the dark too.

5:45 AM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

Melissa-

I love the way their hands touch, too.

I'm glad you keep coming by!


Mim-

Me too, me too!

I think you've got some deep things figured out. I really enjoy your blog, your thoughts, etc.


yrs-

tearful

7:17 AM  
Blogger LKD said...

I came here last night and saw this image and the one below it, and the one below it and....

said nothing.

Which is how powerfully your art moves me. It's always a very visceral reaction I feel when I lay eyes on your images.

But I didn't say anything last night because

because the headless girl was so profoundly disturbing to me.

When I came back today, I realized why.

I was the headless girl. That's how I felt when I was a little girl.

I used to wish myself invisible.

Thank you, brother, for your art.

It digs deeper than you'll ever know.

12:41 PM  
Blogger LKD said...

Since it's Lent, and I'm a lapsed, never to return to the church Catholic, I need to make my confession here and now.

Father, forgive me for I have sinned. It's been decades since my last confession. These are my sins:

I'm still the headless girl.

I still spend a lot of time wishing myself invisible.

I don't know why.

Which is a lie.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Maggie May said...

This image is harrowing, haunting, and touches a part of my past.

I love it.

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home