Saturday, June 14, 2008

My Old Man


*


Like everyone else I guess, I got a complex relationship with my old man. Maybe that's not true. Maybe it is as simple as we pretend it is. I don't know. 

In a world where I'm like to cut you off at the knees soon as look at you, my old man gets a free ride. He's done his share of stupid, selfish things, but I don't have a bone to pick with him. He's given his love freely, and he's been what I always wanted to be in a man. 

Whatever that means.


*

My own road as a parent has been a revelation. Of the wildest, deepest, most disturbing joy. Watching the way my own shortcomings bind and wound my child. The illusion of happiness, and happiness itself.

Grief and bitterness.

Consternation.


*

In the end it's all indistinguishable from love.


*


3 Comments:

Blogger K. said...

Have you read Hemingway's great short story called "My Old Man"? It's here:

http://www.baktabul.com/ingilizce/27450-my-old-man-ernest-hemingway.html

2:13 AM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

K-

Thanks for sending me to that great read. I'm afraid I have a terrible, terrible fondness for Hemingway and I suppose I am somewhat childish for liking him so well, but there it is.

I had not read this story and was glad to do it.


Thanks. I owe you a beer or something.


All best-


tearful

3:39 PM  
Blogger K. said...

I should be thanking you for reminding me to read it yet again! I'm glad you liked it so much -- it's a great story. MOM is of my two favorite short stories, the other being William Faulkner's "Was", which is the first story in Go Down, Moses.

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home