Thursday, July 08, 2010

Souls V




*


Don't ask me.



*


We have been watching some amazing stuff. The Wallender series with Kenneth Branagh. State of Play, a BBC series, kind of a reporters and cops and politicians in a murder-for-hire mystery, dead good. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, with Michael Nyqvist and Noomi Rapace. Not for the faint of heart, but quite good.


When we were in Vegas we tried to watch a little television.


WTF?



I had forgotten what a hellish world cable tv is.


I much prefer turning on the tube, picking some Scandinavian or british or italian movie, a "dark cerebral foreign thriller" or a "visually striking Finnish drama from the 1950's" and watching it without commercials, when I want to watch it, and then if I like it to have Netflix recommend another one it thinks I might also enjoy.


We are crackheads for good movies.


*


I missed the call out on a shooting two nights ago, and our jury trial ended in a hung jury, so I am feeling ass out in the po-lice world right now.

I don't mind. My head is not in the game of late.


*


Sometimes I just phone it in.



I know, I know.



But that's how it is.



*



I want to stay home and nest. Garden. Weed. Cut back growth. Finish painting the house. Build a bath house.

Get grubby and work hard and sweat and be home be home be home be home be home.


*


Namaste or iced namaste, sweetened or not, to your preference.


****

10 Comments:

Anonymous nursemyra said...

I recently watched an episode of the Love Boat dubbed into German whilst holidaying in France. Best tv I've watched in ages.

PS: I really enjoyed The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

3:04 PM  
Blogger Marylinn Kelly said...

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Tuesday night on Instant Netflix, the best mystery I've seen in a long time...one reviewer, Vern, asked what's the matter with those guys in Sweden?

9:46 PM  
Blogger Four Seasons in a Life said...

Gretings,


Yes The Wallender series is wonderful, as is all BBC productions. I personally cannot wait for a new Poroit to start in a few weeks with The Orient Express as I just saw a preview.

Like you I love the foreign films, but I also like the 40's film noir, when scripts were written by authors.

Wishing you a wondefull start to the weekend,
Egmont

7:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love The Wallender series...new ones coming to PBS real soon...Check out ' Twelve ' ...Eastern Euro version of Twelve Angry Men...AMAZING

1:17 PM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

Nurse Myra-

Das Love Boot?

Now that's some television, alright. Was Jurgen Prochnow playing Capt. Steuben?

6:33 AM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

Marylinn-

I don't know what's the matter with those folks in Sweden. Check out "As it is in Heaven" for another great movie with Michael Nyqvist. Much lighter than the dragon, but strong and moving and sincerely beautiful.

I think those folks in Sweden are a lot like us, if we knew how to speak, think, and behave like adults.


Like that could even happen, Napoleon.


yrs-


tearful

6:36 AM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

Egmont-

Yes, the BBC. Yes, Swedish films. Yes noir from the forties.

Really, anything that acts as an antidote to the mindless, screaming crap on American television.

Or on American streets.


Hope your weekend is long and happy.


yrs-


tearful

6:40 AM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

Ano-

12 was on our queue, so we'll be watching it this evening. Thanks for the suggestion.


yrs-

tearful

6:41 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Sometimes you know so much it humbles me which doesn't happen very often. Well. And I get that quiet where I have to go off and think about shit that you've writ here. I have always been good at finding the right teachers at the right time. No matter no matter but just so you know.

Now about this Souls series. I recognize deep and disturbed brilliance in them and such intense revelations of the faces after your vision of them. I think they are remarkable and terrifying and funny and THE REAL THING meaning I can see a book of them a huge book like Arbus's Untitled with your words at the beginning. I think you can and should find a publisher for these and if I have to I'll publish it myself. Or find someone to do it. More than anything I've seen here these, the Souls, reveal a deep understanding of the human machine. Bravo, dear Tearful.

love,
Rebecca Your Fan

8:48 AM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

Rebecca-

I am printing out your comment and taking it to the tattoo parlor. I was going to get a back-piece of it, but then I couldn't read it.

So it's going on the insides of my eyelids.


Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you.


I am drunk on your words.


yrs-


selfishboy

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home