Friday, June 25, 2010

The Quiet Corner



*

I have been in trial the last two weeks on a guy who shot his wife. He says it was an accident, we say he was criminally negligent, but either way, it's just plain sad.

But I got no sympathy for him.

He's one of those guys, he knows what time it is. You'd better not try to tell him, either. He don't like that. During the closing argument, he was sitting over there on the other end of the counsel table, his big hands balled up into fists, his arms shaking with rage, his eyes fixed on the prosecutor, his lips in a snarl.

He wanted a piece of that DA something awful.

The bailiff came over and stood near us, and I made sure I had a clear line at him, too. He wouldn't have gotten very far.

*

We listened to her dying on the 911 tape. I couldn't tell you how many times I listened to it during the investigation.

As it was playing for the jury in court and we're all silent, listening to her agonal breathing, I can see the jury is horrified but I don't feel anything at all. I could have been listening to a ball game or the news.

*


That's just how it is sometimes. You can't feel every little thing.


There's nothing wrong with that.


*


I am reading Sandburg's Lincoln.


It is four volumes, so I will probably be reading it the rest of the year.



I find it astounding.


*


Last night we watched the first episode of Wallender. Kenneth Branagh as the Swedish inspector. The thing is beautiful and moody and smart and despairing.


It's dead good.


*




In other news, I remain obsessed with Homo Neanderthalensis. 




For over three hundred thousand years they were the show. Lot longer than we've been around.


You live your whole life on this planet, you think it's always been like it is now. You know you're wrong about it, but it's hard to feel it in your bones. But when you go out into the wilds you can begin to feel it.

I feel it at the edge of the sea. That sense of deep time, of timelessness.









We are transitory creatures.









*


Namaste.



***

10 Comments:

Blogger Maggie May said...

that image is scary and reminds me of the HBO show Carnivale which my husband and i loved

9:35 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Holy shit.
love,
Rebecca

5:44 PM  
Blogger Radish King said...

When you write your book I'm first in line.
xox

5:45 PM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

One of these days I will write one that is worth a shit. I hope.

xox back atcha.

6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am afraid or your
fotograph - it moves and shakes

me -

makes my neck hurt
the anesthesiologist massages it while they tug and pull....

It has dormers and a
rug

It could be ..

there could be a twinn
slay bed..........


rib-spreader -- yes.
and angry sores
that may
never heal
over -

FP

9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"We are transitory creatures."

That's it - that's what we agonize about. You say it flatly - without fuss, as an aside. That tone gets at the complexity of the statement - wise, indifferent, compassionate, scolding. It is something to aspire to - if we understood and believed this statement deeply, we'd be better in ourselves and with each other.

take care, Mary

11:24 PM  
Blogger heyhey said...

treeontheverge o1800

7:39 AM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

Frenchie-

Well, I think I'm afraid of what you see in there, too. Twin slay bed and rib-spreaders.


Sounds awful.



I hope you are okay.


yrs-

tearful

12:11 PM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

Mary-

Well, you are an astounding human being. I can't tell you how glad I am to have this slender thread of connection with you. I really treasure it, and you.

yrs-


Scott

12:13 PM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

Rotom-

I got no freaking idea what you mean.


Are you comment spam? Spambot?

Or just really, really cryptic?


I dunno.

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home