Monday, December 21, 2009

rode hard put away wet



*

I look this bad.


I don't feel no better, either.


*

Today I walked away from a fight, let a man go instead of arresting him for contempt of cop.

I mean, obstructing a peace officer in the performance of his duties.


I did it, though. I did the math, knew it was going to go bad, took a deep breath and sent him on his way.

Look at who's all growed up.




Of course, the second I let him go, he started bragging to his friends and family gathered around how I was going to arrest him but I was too big a pussy to do it.

*


I thought I was going to bust my teeth.



*

Instead, I just shook my head and got in my car and left.


*


It wasn't nothing. He just lied to me. Bald-faced, flat-out, lied. And it didn't matter, I got done what needed doing just the same.

I still might bust my teeth.



But I didn't bust his, and that's what matters tonight.


***

Namaste, you princes of new england, you sons a bitches!



*

8 Comments:

Blogger Maggie May said...

you King of new england. you prince of tides.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Mim said...

His day will come.

Peace.

Mim

10:37 AM  
Blogger Mim said...

And it won't be a good day.

10:38 AM  
Blogger melissashook said...

oh, you are some ugly! hurray for you...

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fucking a brother... you keep fighting like the dark pure soul you are, people with ripsaws with walk behind you and create bodyparts for others to trip on in your wake

11:44 PM  
Blogger melissashook said...

This morning I was reading a mystery book. The heroine heads an outsider art museum in central California, married to the sheriff of that small town... and the thought of you, dishwasher, came to mind and I decided that you are really an accountant who goes off to the office everyday, wearing a suit...and while he's leaning over all those numbers, a computer stuffed with numbers, he imagines a life of action, the life of a man's man, a guy who holds a flashlight betwee in his teeth, a gun in each hand and..................... well, his fantasy continues long into the night.......

4:28 AM  
Blogger deirdre said...

You got done what needed doing just the same. You said that and there's not many that can.

I'm thinking you got brave covered in all its guises.

And you look fucking awesome!

xo dd

4:58 AM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

Wow.

I love all of these comments!


Maggie May, thank you. And back atcha.


Mim, may you be right. I hope his day comes and I'm there for it.


Anonymous, you leave me speechless. Thanks, I think.


Melissa-

You win the prize. I AM an accountant. I DO go to work in a coat and tie and sit at a desk all day and imagine what it would be like to still be a warrior. An accountant with a gun on his hip is still an accountant.

I no longer show up when the smoke is in the air and blood is on the ground and the back door is still flapping against the frame and give chase.

I come long after and make a careful accounting of all that occurred. I label and sketch. I ask questions and listen. I accumulate details and arrange them in binders.

Of course I long for the smoke and blood still.


But those moments now are accidental and far apart.



I am left with, well, with what's left.




*


Deirdre-

If I've got you in my corner I can't be all bad.

Thank you, always!


Thanks to all of you. It is a sweet wonder to have you coming round.


yrs-


tearful

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home