Thursday, December 17, 2009

Night Ops



*

Last night I taught a little low-light shooting class. The Harries, Chapman, Rogers-Surefire, Marine Corps, Hargreaves, FBI, and Neck Index flashlight techniques.

You might think it's pretty easy to hold a flashlight and a gun and hit what you're aiming at.

It ain't so.


Add to it that your own flashlight acts as a bullet magnet so you can only turn it on for a split second to identify your threat, then you have to shut it off and move somewhere else so when the bad guy tries to kill you, he's shooting at where you were instead of where you are now, and it can get kind of complicated.

Plus, a dozen people running around in the dark with loaded guns where you can hardly see anything makes for a nervous instructing experience.


*

It was about the most fun I've had since I don't know when.


Seeing the guys running and gunning, popping their lights on, making good hits, then scurrying to cover in the dark and popping out somewhere else, bang-bang, another bad-guy down.

Reloading in the dark. Clearing malfunctions.

Taking care of bidness.



Fucking awesome, is what.



***

Namaste.


***

6 Comments:

Blogger Mim said...

This takes quick reflexes and courage! I thought using Pyrex was dangerous.

What a green!
Mim

9:31 AM  
Blogger deirdre said...

These glimpses into your world are incredible.
Live on.
xo

6:18 PM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

I think it's good to throw a little gunfighting in with the art and the angst and the thrashing about for meaning.

It's so goddamn clear in a gunfight.


And I love it. I love doing it, I love teaching it, I love watching it in action.


It stirs something deep.


yrs-

tearful

7:00 PM  
Blogger melissashook said...

No, dishwasher, I'd never think that holding a flashlight, a gun and hitting what I'm aiming at is easy. Not in 10 million years.
thank you.

6:03 AM  
Blogger Maggie May said...

i'll have mr. curry come read this. he is fascinated with these kinds of pursuits. he is reading Delta Force right now.

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a good teacher, keep that going, you have much to give

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home