Thursday, August 30, 2007

Resentful and Suspicious




*

Tomorrow Emily turns sixteen.



*

She is the sun around which my pale planet spins right now. I am some absent-minded gardener, puttering, trying to weed without pulling out the sunflowers or the bachelor's buttons or the forget-me-nots. But I am a poor servant to the garden,
and like as not will yank out a rose instead of a thistle.


As if my puttering matters.


There is a grander plan in play.




*

I am grateful to be permitted my small audience.


Beyond words.




*


I believe in love's power to redeem.



I will not quit it.





*

2 Comments:

Blogger LKD said...

I have the right to be hopeful.

And, trusting.

Ha.

(Bet you never thought I'd say that.)

10:00 PM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

Well, Ms. Dodge, just when I think you can't surprise me!

Woo-hooo!

and thanks.

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home