Thursday, October 26, 2006

Self at Forty-Two




*

My life has a small orbit, but a sweet one. At forty-two I feel more centered and calm than I used to. My wife says that one of the great benefits of aging is the mellowing out of our emotional storms, and I have to agree with her there. I still have plenty of rough edges, blind spots, and places on the map marked "Beyond Here Be Dragons," but for the most part I'm doing well. I got a good job, a house, money in the bank. Better, I have someone to share it all with. The central fact of my life, the core of it, is my marriage and parenthood. Everything fits together nicely now, though, nothing is in conflict with itself.

Ah, but I still sit in the little puddle and make my own waves.

Still crazy enough to do that.

*

I got art in my eyes and fingertips and sparks flying across the synapses in my dark brain. I got writing and reading. I got a strong back and hard hands and two legs to stand on. I got a sweet spot. I got a bitter one.


I have more than I ever dreamed I'd have.




*

I am dumbfounded by the munificence of this universe,
and humbled, and grateful.


*

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fronk! vut iz ziss VS?

und zee leetel poyntee years?

...

Ok - sometimes I think
you and i must be reading
the same stuff
or maybe
it's just me.lol oh.

and

for being a vgood tricky boy- treats: a puckery combo:

Here - havea lemon jolly-rancher
and a hershey kiss.

LOL;

1:28 PM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

Hey Crazy-

I think you might be on to something with the Hershey's kiss/lemon jolly-rancher combo...Halloween is coming soon...

And my ears ARE pointy.

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you make this picture?

1:28 PM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

Yes.


Thanks for asking.


PS- I love your blog to DEATH. Going there and reading what you have to say makes my day without fail.

I mean it.


I spent an hour today listening to Milo Jones.

So.


Thanks for that.


yrs-


Scott

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're welcome. that makes me feel humble and honored. really.

milo is something. i really hope someday i can get out to boston and be there at the same time he's having a show. he seems to do them in spurts. he told me he sometimes suffers from "poor mental hygiene."

and i really like this picture, btw. it's got something great.

plus, i love the color.

7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home