Saturday, July 15, 2006

The Crossing




*

Nothing's getting better anytime soon.
Nothing's wrong with how it is right now.

It's just you.

You can't sit still, you got no peace in you.
You got no stillness available to you. You got
no way to soothe yourself.

You always lookin' after someone to give you what you want
but you the only one can give it.


You the onliest one.


*

I like to see how other folks do it.
How they contend with the rawness in life,
get mired in the muck and the shit and how
when they rest from their struggles how they
turn their faces toward the sun.

How they shade their eyes with their one hand
and squint into the warmth of it.


*


I sometimes ache with a tenderness for all life. Even the lowliest creature can stir in me the fullness of the most singular compassion. Spend five minutes coaxing an ant onto my finger so I can walk it outside and set it on a leaf. In the shade.

It's other days I'll just mash 'em under my thumb.

I got no compunction.


*

One thing I am is a sucker for the whole contraption. I'm a grade A mark wandering past the hucksters and carny freaks, money poking out of my pockets, cotton candy in my hand and wide-eyed, empty looking face. They spot me comin a mile off.

You think I don't stand a chance, but I keep comin home with a goldfish in a bowl,
a doll or a stuffed rabbit.


*




Lookit all them pretty lights!


*

3 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

I haven't said much here in a good while... long enough that I don't remember if I ever did... but I read every day, thanks to bloglines, I never miss a post. Just wanted to stop in and say that this post reminds me of me... open, vulnerable, sometimes moody, and yet, somehow, still winning... glad you are too.

6:47 PM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

Erin!

I'm glad you stopped in. I don't know about bloglines, what that is?

And you have to stay open, vulnerable, otherwise none of the good stuff gets in past your protective shell.


yrs-

Scott

8:33 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Bloglines is an aggregator. I tell it whose blogs to watch for new posts, it tells me which of them has new posts. Saves me having to visit every blog every day even when they don't post, and saves me missing any new posts - beautimous relationship bloglines and I have.
Bloglines

This theme seems to be running through several of the blogs I frequent lately, the benefit of "emotional nakedness." It's nice to know that there are still people around who haven't locked themselves in the protective shell.

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home