Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Ferryman







*


I know that I am blessed beyond all measure.



I know also that I am doomed.



*



It sounds better if you switch those two statements.




*

I know that I am doomed.



I know also that I am blessed beyond all measure.




*



Same facts, but one is more comforting to face.



*

I think all the time about Temple Grandin's slaughterhouse ramp, how it is designed not to alarm the cattle as they circle their way down a path that grows ever narrower and leads to a real dead end.


We're all of us on it. The trick is to keep reminding yourself of it so you don't sleep walk your way through and miss the whole shebang.




And it's a hell of a good ride.





*




I don't know how I managed to latch on to my wife, but what a poor world I would have known if not for her.


Nor will I leave go of her.




*


Namaste.


***





6 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

Speechless I am. Moo.

7:42 AM  
Blogger rebecca said...

lifting the roof of heaven
you are serving up
perfect soul sized stars.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Ms. Moon said...

Have I told you that my husband and I have made a vow that if one of us decides to leave, he or she will give the other one fifteen minutes notice so that he or she can pack to come with?
We may all be doomed but let us go down in flames holding hands, bodies pressed as closely together as is possible.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I've had the very same thought about Temple Grandin's chute.

Lovely post and as lovely comments --

5:59 PM  
Blogger 37paddington said...

the art puts me in the mind of a holocaust and makes me feel doomed.

the words bring me right to the face of love and remind me that we are blessed beyond measure.

i can never come here and be unmoved. i am glad you have your woman and she has you.

love,
angella

6:11 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth said...

Back again, Tearful, and I've missed your thoughts, your images and your poetry. Thanks.

4:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home