Sunday, December 21, 2008

Close to the bone





*

Today we walked the Harmony headlands trail again. From the highway to the ocean, a couple of miles each way through this empty and beautiful and silent coastal ranch land.

It is a balm to my soul.


*

And to walk it hand in hand with the woman I love. In silence. In deep conversation. In the sunlight and the cold air.


Knowing that I am blessed.


*

After the walk I got called out to a dead kid. Same age as mine. Into the same things. This kid overdosed on some stolen pain meds. He was a throw-away kid. He didn't stand a chance.

The autopsy is on Christmas Eve.

*

For dinner I grilled a flank steak and roasted some brussels sprouts with an asian dipping sauce (a recipe from Momofuko's that was dead good. It's on Epicurious if you're curious) and a big ol' salad with persian cucumbers and bell peppers and red onion and endive and escarole, with lemon and balsamic vinegar and some olive oil.


*

I am not drinking so I did not have a short glass of frozen vodka. Or a tall one.


*


Happy Christmas. God bless us, every one.


***

3 Comments:

Blogger deirdre said...

Happy Christmas, yes. To you and yours.

xo

3:18 AM  
Blogger Radish King said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours, dear Dishwasher.

3:36 PM  
Blogger deirdre said...

You'll be back, I know you will.
You're just too busy being happy right now in that California sunshine.

xo

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home