Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Working Notes



*

Sometimes the mathematics work against you. Sometimes the odds are all wrong. It can be less simple than it appears.


One of the real foundations of my work as a cop is Occam's Razor.

  All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best.


See also, 'looks like a duck, quacks like a duck...'


*

Sometimes, only rarely, but sometimes it is much, much more complex.


*

It can create a kind of crisis. I mean to say that I am actually experiencing somewhat of a crisis, an existential crisis, as an investigator. This is what I do. It is my endeavor. I have dedicated myself to it and you may mock me for it but it is a serious thing to me. I have never believed that I am entirely equal to the task, but have always felt that I was at least no worse than most and better than some at it. 

I have approached it with care.

I strive to make the case. I put them down. I do it right and I put them down and they stay down when I do them.


*

But from time to time a certain set of facts arise that test the entire structure. 


Which facts I am not able to articulate.


*


It is not easy to make a place for doubt. For contradiction, for a kind of large-scale quantum fuzziness in the day to day workings of the world.


*

But there are times when this becomes a necessary thing.



*




2 Comments:

Blogger james said...

scott, i'm usually way behind everybody else, trying to keep up with the good stuff, so i hope you've already gotten ahold of burke's The Tin Roof Blowdown, which i've just read. Surely it's his finest work yet; katrina gave him the backdrop for a complex and terrible and anxious-driven work, and if by chance you haven't read it yet, i urge you to do so -- not that its world will seem unique to you, but because you will see your reflection on its every page.

4:20 PM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

Jim-

I'll get right on it! You turned me on to him a few years ago and you were dead right to do so, so I can't wait to read this one.

Thanks for thinking of me here. Hope you are well and happy, brother.

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home