Sunday, January 27, 2008

Arkansas State Prison


*



These folks inhabit my dreamworld. Be careful before you go look. They will not let go of you.



*

Last night we dined on King Crab legs and Penn Cove mussels and whore's pasta. We tried a bottle of Cameron Hughes lot 48 (disappointing) and fell back on our old standby, Opolo Zinfindel. 


Sometimes you just say fuck it, lets party.


*

Today garlic is seeping from my pores. 



*

Today is one of those days where it rains loud and hard and the wind whips everything around and sends the lawn chairs skittering over the bricks and the sun shines like mad the whole time. 


Everything is alive.


*


I keep feeling sad about Heath Ledger. 


Why?


It's not like his death is any kind of tragedy compared with the rest of the shit going down every day. Maybe I have only a small, Heath Ledger sized compassion. It gets overwhelmed so easily. But the death of a single young man in his prime for no reason, that's kind of bite-sized enough.

I dunno.


*

My wife and I are taking a ceramics class. An entire semester. The next seventeen saturdays spoken for from 9:30 to 3:30. 

We will make pinch pots. 

We will explore primitive firing techniques.

We will wedge clay and we will keep the white clay separate from the red.

We will stand in front of kilns that are taller than us and use up enough gas to heat our house for a year in something like three minutes. 

We will hang out with little eighteen year olds in knit caps and designer jeans and slouches and clear faces innocent of any marks or scars and we will nudge each other and smile at their heartbreaking fragility and cluelessness and we will get tired and dirty and I know I will break a bunch of stuff and it will be fun, yes.

*

Did you know we are having a hell of a time getting ammunition for our guns? Not just the DA's office, but the Sheriff's department, the local PD's, everyone. 


It's the war. 


The military is buying all of the bullets.


Just think about that for a minute. 



*


They already used up all theirs?



*



hellfire.




*


Hope you are having a sweet and peaceful Sunday and do yourself a favor and go splurge on something really, really good for dinner. And for god's sake, don't forget the wine.



*

Namaste.



*


6 Comments:

Blogger LKD said...

Have you seen the movie Lonely Hearts with Salma Hayek and Jared Leto, based on the true story of the Lonely Hearts killers, Martha Beck and Raymond Martinez Fernandez? If not, you should. The photograph you posted reminded me of that movie.

I know what you mean about Heath.

I think his death is a tragedy in the same sense that any young person's death is a tragedy. He took risks. He lived. He loved. But there was still so much living yet to be done.

Yesterday was my older brother's birthday. I haven't heard from him in a year.

10:15 PM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

Hey Laurel-

Nope, I missed that one. I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip.

As far as estranged family, I got a tree full of 'em. I don't got no advice on that.

Hope you are well and happy.


tearful

4:37 PM  
Blogger Chiastych said...

Thank you for the haunted link. I haven't even closed my eyes, and
I'm surrounded by them.

Want to be confessor, healer, student and friend--want to know them.

You'll have to bear up under my expressions of gratitude, but I have to express it: I'm intensely satisfied to have found your blog.


Also: watched Barton Fink two weeks back on your profile recommendation. Brilliant. Perfect medicine for me at the time.

4:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not at all happy about the bullet comment. Cripes.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Bobby D. said...

wow, wow and wow. to the whole post

love the photo. love it.

10:14 AM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

JP-

Thanks for your comments. It's good to know when something throws off sparks. Glad to have you around.


Phobias-


Yeah, it surprised me.



Ched-


Meow!


yrs-


tearful

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home