Friday, March 03, 2006

The Night Gathering

Image hosting by Photobucket



*

Took Cash out to Lone Palm early this morning. The sea was up and wind-whipped, nearly black with vivid whitecaps aglow in the changing light, the sky above dark and racing with heavy thunderclouds dumping rain out over the sea, the grasses leaping and flattening, swirling and twisting.

A solitary egret on the wind-swept plain stood his ground against the wind.

We made our way across the cliffs as the weather kicked up around us. Rain began to spit, blown in from over the sea, then fell hard and dense. I huddled in the lee of a rock outcropping and held Cash against my side as the water and freezing wind broke over the rocks and swirled around us.

Soon it began to hail.


*

For ten minutes we huddled in the lee of the rocks, breathless, as the squall passed over us.





I have rarely felt so alive.


*

5 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

I like your stuff. Word up.

Jim Kober

9:48 AM  
Blogger Maria Baker said...

I loved this one. Reminds me of a time when I drove out to an open field to watch the lightening as it approached (it was the most strikes I'd ever seen.) I got so caught up in watching that I didn't realize the storm was creeping up too. Suddenly and violently I was right in the middle of a terrifying storm. I actually thought at the time it was a tornado. I was freaking out and scared, but when it was over I found myself laughing with joy. It was amazing.

6:24 PM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

jim-

thanks, guy. Feel free to drop by any time. I'll come by when I'm in the neighborhood.


Maria-

Your comment strikes me as the perfect illustration of how what we fear can wash over us with such mind-blowing power and fury, but leave us drenched and cleaned out and joyful in the aftermath.

Thanks so much for coming by.


yrs-

Scott

6:31 PM  
Blogger 666poetry-finchnot said...

hi scott

just dropping by / /

you are so intense


& i love that about you




ah to feel /



take care

~jx

11:13 PM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

Finchy-

Thanks for stopping in and saying hi.

It's good to hear from you.

This feeling of things, it's good...


yrs-


Scott

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home