Thursday, September 01, 2005

Broken, Not Paid For

It could move you, if you was to notice. If it wasn't the way
it was. If you were somehow different from the way
you are.

Incalculable losses tossed off like burnt matches, the pink
of singed skin glowing an ember of remembrance.

I remember you just fine. You used to steal catfish
from my farm.

Oh my lord I am heartily sorry for offending you.

In the summer I cut the pale skin on my arms to ribbons.
In the summer I nursed my wounds and named them.
In the summer I pressed my hard cock against the hot sidewalk
and cried out when you touched my sunburned skin.
In the summer I was unloved for one thousand years.

And cried out when you didn't touch my skin.


I will never stop loving this world.
I will never stop crying out.
Now the rain ceases.

Now the grit accumulates in the creases.




It must be amazing, the way we
keep gaping at the wheezy
contraption.

How the lights shine
in the crazy dark.




...

5 Comments:

Blogger 666poetry-finchnot said...

yikes / the spam is bad around blogger ville these days

~~~~~~
always a treat to look in on you
i never know what i will find


i love this poem for september
end of summer
i feel it / i know it


you have a beautiful voice scott / so sad / revealing truths about us all




thanx


~jx

11:29 PM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

Hey Finchy-

Hey, my first spam! Bye-bye, spam.


Thanks for the kind words. Glad yr still checking in....


Scott

6:06 AM  
Blogger pghpoet said...

funny how a few truthful words- strung like beads, hung out there on the neck of reality catches fire not only in the eye,

but in the heart.


oh, this is a fine, sensitive, lovely poem pooling in it's own sense of loss and unfinished everythings. i love it, scott.

it bleeds and wets itself.- k.

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

scott, you might consider beginning this beautiful piece with "it could move you ..." otherwise, not a wasted word, every moment paid for.

12:55 PM  
Blogger tearful dishwasher said...

Jim-

Thanks for the suggestion. Taken.

What I'd do without you I don't know.


yrs-

Scott

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home