Saturday, April 22, 2006

Train In The Three Difficulties








*

My apologies to everyone for being so long absent.


*

The big news for me is that I have left the Sheriff's Department. On Monday I start my new career with the District Attorney's Office as a DA investigator. For the past six months I've been going through the testing and application process. I was fortunate enough to take the top spot out of fifty or so applicants, and after the background, medical, and psychological exams I was offered the job.

What's it all mean?

Well, no more SWAT for Daddy. Also, no more shift work. No more of the regular cop stuff- handling calls, pushing a black and white, etc. So Yolie's happy about that.

As for me, it gives me the chance to stay in investigations for the rest of my career. Which is where my heart is. I start out in the basement, doing family support stuff, which is basically chasing down dead-beat dads for back child support. Which I can do with no problem. My goal is to work back into a murder cop, which will probably take me a couple of years. Maybe more. Maybe less.

My Dad just retired out of the DA's office as Chief Investigator last year. He was there for twenty-five years. So I'm following in his footsteps. He was a deeply loved and admired guy over there, so I'll be basking in the afterglow as Odom, Jr.

I am excited as can be.


*

When I promoted to Sergeant and left the bureau, I felt like I'd lost my bearings. For the last six months I've been sitting a desk, answering the phone and telling the dispatchers where to send the units, who can roll code, how many back-ups can go, who can join the pursuit, when the pursuit should be called off, making cops take the reports they don't want to take, handling citizen complaints, and doing man-friday chores for the Commander.

And calling every day I didn't eat my own gun as a victory.


*


Okay, what else.


At home, I've been working my ass off in the garden. Yolie and I built a meditation/yoga platform in the back corner, a 10x10 redwood deck that looks out over the whole garden. Today we bought a beautiful stone Buddha and set it under the arching branches of a low bush behind the platform in a secret little spot.

Also, tore the old trim off the shed/studio. Scraped and sanded and washed and primed and repainted and retrimmed and now my wife has the most beautiful little place.




Also, I found this watering trough on the side of the road and brought it home. It is now our Zen koi pond on the back deck.






lovely.


*

I miss you guys and I'm sorry I haven't even responded to your posts.


Hope this will make up for a little bit of that.


*


I am a blissed out little monkey.


*

10 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Cohen said...

I am glad that you are OK. Funny (as in strange), I don't know you other than as a recent reader of your blog, but feel a connection through your writing. The jewish mother in me was worried.

Congrats on your new job.

May your garden thrive.

best,
lisa

5:18 PM  
Blogger LKD said...

Congratulations and welcome back.

You were missed.

Your life is beautiful, sir. And so are you.

Thanks for sharing it (your life, your art, your love, your happiness) with us.

In my next life, I want to be a koi.

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the studio is beautiful. your buddha is beautiful. and i'm almost certain your koi are beautiful. scott, your fucking life is beautiful.

and i'm just so pleased the way things are going for you now.

and i never knew you were a junior. that makes two of us. and i know how big those footsteps are, way out there in front of you.

always, jim.

11:30 PM  
Blogger deirdre said...

yay you're back & with buddha bells on!

smiles all around

7:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Congratulations. This sounds like a great opportunity for you.

10:20 AM  
Blogger JC said...

congrats!

and good to see you back. missed your words and presence.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Christine E. Hamm, Poet Professor Painter said...

A most excellent pause.

6:39 PM  
Blogger 666poetry-finchnot said...

ah / blissed out little monkey

sounds like you are stay ing out of
trouble / a good thing / perhaps

i too / have been lost in the garden
it's a good place to be / mostly
cleaning out beds / the grass loves
to grow in soft soil


take care scott / always nice to
read your words / /


~fx

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work in the lovely garden, and here,
and wishing you great work as a DA investigator, too.
xxx

6:06 PM  
Blogger Susan Schwake said...

found you through corey's blog... and i love what you did with the little studio and the koi pond... very adorable and liveable! congrats on your new job too. it all sounds way too tough for me!

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home